Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Group Configuration

So, after The Phoenix Trio and TRIANGLE, I'm a little spoiled when it comes to groups. I have one guy already, coincidentally my first drum student,,,who is very, very good, and he thinks he has a bass player.

I've decided to add a bass player to this permutation of my original material to give it more of a bottom then TRIANGLE did, since I'm starting from scratch here. The good news is that there is a new coffee joint in Batesville, with a huge performing space and they are looking for new acts, and want to get in good with the college (Lyon)

So, I'm thinking some variants on the tongue drum "tunes" I've done, write a couple of more "improvisational roadmaps" with a drumset and a bass player, we can do a "everybody join in" deal, and have someone solo over the top of it on either a tongue drum, or the Alessis synthesizer I have. I've decided to use that with the loop pedal, and leave the electronic drum pads out.

The whole loop pedal thing I think is still a kickin' idea, but something electronic needs to be the first layer, since I like using a click track to set the 8 bar or 16 bar loop parameters. As the group rehearses more, we can try the odd loop variants I tried in Iowa, which are not dependent on bar lengths, but rather exploit the actual time available. I think this makes it interesting because things come up at different times, and are not confined to conventional music structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment